Finally, a finished quit! It’s been a while! This quilt has been two years in the making, so it’s nice to finally be able to enjoy it. The pattern is Snapshots from Elizabeth Hartmann’s The Practical Guide to Patchwork, and the prints are from Denyse Schmidt’s Sugar Creek line. It was pretty simple to put together, as you can sew strips to then further cut into strips of squares to assemble.
I branched out from my usual stippling to do some clementine stitching, since this quilt was essentially made for it. My petals tended to be less wide than I wanted, so hopefully I’ll get better at this one with more practice.
The back used more of the strips I made, and I used my favorite blue acorn print for the rest of the backing.
The binding… well… is an interesting story. I brought this quilt along with me to our temporary housing as we transitioned into a new city, meaning to bind it quickly so we could use it. I probably got about halfway done hand-stitching it to the back before I got tired of waiting. So now this quilt has what I lovingly call Frankenstein Binding.
I tried finishing the rest of the binding with a zig-zag stitch, only to realize that the loud pounding I was hearing was that my Kenmore is not designed to do a zig-zag stitch with the walking foot that I have.
So then I finished the rest with a straight stitch. That means there are three types of binding stitches on this quilt… but at least it makes it interesting!
Beth 'Larkin' Carroll
The quilt turned out beautiful! And interesting is good – you will always have a good story to tell about the making of this quilt. :)